All – I have been in contact with you at some point regarding the Virginia Rent and Mortgage Relief program and as such, wanted to share this latest information. Please help distribute this to appropriate parties. Apologies in advance if you have already received this.
Please review the information below for answers to many of your recent questions. We’re working diligently to provide you all with the most up-to-date and accurate information available, so please read carefully.
Our current application deadline is December 30, 2020. What does this mean?
- In order to be considered for current CARES Act funding, you must submit your application prior to December 30, 2020.
- Required Documentation:
- RMRP Application and Agreements
- Valid Lease
- Tenant Ledger
- Supporting Income Documentation
- Interim Recertification if household receives rental subsidy
- If you cannot complete an application before Dec 30
- Do not enter incomplete apps in GMS
- Wait to apply under new funding (see below)
If you are concerned about meeting the December 30, 2020 deadline, don’t worry!
A new application will be available on January 1, 2021. Here’s what we currently know regarding the new upcoming guidelines:
- Four pillars of eligibility remain the same
- Additional information will be collected on this new application
- There may be some limitations to eligible rent and fees
- The way the application looks will b
e changing, both in GMS and PDF.
RMRP is referenced in new state budget
A new budget was signed by Governor Ralph S. Northam in November 2020. This budget has additional provisions regarding evictions and the RMRP program that will go into effect starting January 1, 2021. Landlords are required to submit applications on behalf of delinquent tenants facing eviction for unpaid rents–if the tenant hasn’t already submitted on their own behalf.
In addition, if a tenant elects to participate in RMRP, Virginia Housing’s interpretation is that landlords are required to wait 45 days from submission of a complete application (including all supporting documentation required in the application), prior to evicting a tenant due to unpaid rent. Please see full signed budget at this link: https://budget.lis.virginia.gov/get/budget/4274/HB5005/ as this email is not intended to provide legal advice.
Thank you for your continued efforts, we are working hard to process all of the requests in a timely manner. Your support in submitting complete, accurate applications helps!
Director of Strategic Housing
601 South Belvidere Street, Richmond, Virginia 23220-6504